What’s on at NRM York
Discover the history and science behind one of the most famous locomotives of all time with this interactive workshop.
- Term time, Mondays to Fridays
10.30, 11.30, 12.30, 13.30, 14.30, 15.30 & 16.30
- Key Stage 1
- Great Hall
Why is Rocket so famous? Why was it built? How did it work? And how did Robert Stephenson and his engine change the history of the world?
- Identifying and classifying.
- Using their observations and ideas to suggest answers to questions.
- Gathering and recording data to help in answering questions.
- Identify and name a variety of everyday materials, including wood, plastic, glass, metal, water and rock.
- Identify similarities and differences between ways of life in different periods.
- The lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements.
- Significant historical events.
Feedback from Teachers
"The staff (Explainers) were very engaging and involved all the children."
"It was fun, educational and interesting."
"Staff from the museum (Explainer) delivered a lively and informative workshop, involving the children in re-enacting events and getting hands on with the replica Rocket."
"The Stephensons' Rocket workshop was very engaging, especially because of the different visual aids used".
"They really brought learning to life".
"Our pupils really enjoy getting hands on with their learning and they could remember how a steam engine worked back at school because of this interactive approach."
"A big thank you to the member of staff (Explainer) for their lively and enthusiastic delivery of Stephensons' Rocket."
A big thank you for the brilliant workshops that were delivered by the centre staff (Explainer)."
Feedback from children
"To all the staff in the York Railway Museum, thank you for showing us and teaching us about the amasing Rocket George and his son Robert made. It was fabulous."
"We loved dressing us as Henry Booth, George Stephenson and Robert Stephenson"
"Thank you for telling us about the Rocket. I had a good time."
"Thank you for telling us lots of information about the Rocket. We learned that Henry Booth helped George and Robert Stephenson bild the steam train."
To make a booking please complete our online booking form or phone us on 01904 686230.