What’s on at NRM York
Need for Speed
Experience the thrill of speed in this fast paced interactive science show.
- Term time, Mondays to Fridays
- 10.30, 11.30, 12.30, 13.30, 14.30, 15.30 & 16.30
- Key Stage 2
- Learning Platform
Why are we always trying to go faster? How are we able to travel so fast on trains and which famous locomotives have broken incredible speed records? All this and more in our fast-paced interactive science show which explores our need for speed!
- Using results to draw simple conclusions, make predictions for new values, suggest improvements and raise further questions.
- Identifying differences, similarities or changes related to simple scientific ideas and processes.
- Using straightforward scientific evidence to answer questions or to support their findings.
Forces and Magnets
- Notice that some forces need contact between two objects, but magnetic forces can act at a distance.
- Observe how magnets attract or repel each other and attract some materials and not others.
- Describe magnets as having two poles.
- Predict whether two magnets will attract or repel each other, depending on which poles are facing.
States of matter
- Explore a variety of everyday materials and develop simple descriptions of the states of matter.
Design and technology
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- Investigate and analyse a range of existing products.
- Understand how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped shape the world.
Feedback from teachers
My group really enjoyed the show - plenty of good visuals and getting the students involved. They all found the show very entertaining.
All of our children and staff thoroughly enjoyed the 'Need for Speed' workshop. It was one of the highlights of our visit.
The interactive and visual way in which it was delivered, really brought the content to life for our Year 6 children.
The explainer who delivered the workshop really knew how to engage with the children. We would recommend it to others.
To make a booking please complete our online booking form or phone us on 01904 686230.